ARE YOU READY FOR RELAXING IN RUST?
HOW TO ESCAPE THE HEAT IN VIENNA AND SPEND A PERFECT SUMMER DAY
WITH AUSTRIAN FLAIR AT EUROPE’S SECOND LARGEST STEPPE LAKE
RUST . LAKE NEUSIEDL
ARE YOU READY FOR A 1-DAY-HOLIDAY WITH BATHING EXPERIENCE, A BIT OF SIGHTSEEING AND GREAT AUSTRIAN FOOD & WINE?
Before you start
- pack your bags with beachwear, towels, sunscreen, some food, enough water & something nice to read (if you have bring an inflatable mattress along)
- set your satnav for„Rust“ at Lake Neusiedl, Europe’s second largest steppe lake (Hungary’s Lake Balaton – Plattensee in German – is bigger) (type: Ruster Bucht 2, 7071 Rust – it’s about 1 hour from Vienna)
- or take a bus from Vienna Central Station
“HAPPINESS IS NOT A STATE TO ARRIVE AT, BUT A MANNER OF TRAVELING.“
– Margaret Lee Runbeck
On your way to Rust
- hit the road and do a little stop-over in the province of Burgenland’s capital Eisenstadt (you might have to change bus here anyways)
- or visit Esterhazy Palace on your way if you are into a bit of cultural glam history
- or take a tour with a tasting at Esterhazy Winery if you are more into wine & modern architecture
- or stop at the roman quarry (Römersteinbruch) to take impressive selfies of where the stones for St.Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna come from
- in the beautiful little lakeside town of Rust (about 1 hour from Vienna) follow the signs (we’re coming later once it’s a bit cooler) saying „Seebad / Zum See“, pass through the reed and park your car right in front of the lake resort / lido (3€ for the whole day & there’s plenty of space) at the Rust bay.
Splish-Splash at Rust Bay
- I recommend you pass the public pool and walk onto the big green right at the lakeside of Neusiedler See to choose your perfect spot for the next couple of hours
- You’ll be looking at the modern wood-panelled sailing club house with the restaurant „Katamaran“ and a little beach bar next to the yacht harbor
- If you are worried about your personal belongings, you can lock them for 1 or 2€ deposit near the cash desk of the ‚Strandbad‘ (lido)
- On the Strandbad premisses there are toilets and (cold) showers also
- and a sailing school if you wanna try 😉
- don’t worry about the colour of the lake – that’s it’s natural color due to clay sediment and not worrisome at all – Lake Neusiedl is known for its water quality and is a UNESCO world heritage site
ENJOY THE CHANGE OF SCENERY AND THE LAKESIDE ATMOSPHERE & FEEL HOW YOU UNWIND & RELAX!
Before heading home
- park your car anywhere in downtown Rust (it only has 1.900 inhabitants)
- pick a nice typical Austrian wine tavern – a ‚Heuriger‘ restaurant or ‚Buschenschank‘ and enjoy a delicious cold snack from a buffet of cheeses, cold cuts, savory spreads, nice breads and try some of their own wines for sometimes starting at 1€ per glass(!) in a beautiful courtyard garden (ask them for 1/16l of wine if you are the driver or if you want to try more kinds without getting drunk)
- take a walk around the picturesque renaissance and baroque town Rust where every house has a stork’s nest on the chimney – it’s now not so hot anymore and less crowed (make sure it is still daylight otherwise I recommend you do it before dinner)
So don’t wait for your next week-long holiday but rather pick the next nice saturday or sunday and go!
“IT’S NOT ABOUT ‘HAVING’ TIME. IT’S ABOUT MAKING TIME.“
P.S. And this will also bring you relaxation and happiness when you start at 14:00 only and head straight to the lake! Again: no excuses! 😉
Ruster Bucht 2 . Lake Neusiedl . A-7071 Rust . best from Mai on til October
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
I am very curious what you think of it. Let us know about your experience in the comments below and help us make the best choice there is!
SHARE IF YOU LIKE IT!
Did you like the article & the location? Know of anyone going to Vienna soon or living there? Then please share (see left) with them. The more people read SuessiLoves.com the more my productiveness is fuelled.
FIND MY RECOMMENDATION HERE ON THIS MAP
Rust . Lake Neusiedl
VIENNA . MY RECENT FINDS . YOUR BLISS .
TRAVEL IS AN INTRINSIC PART OF MY LIFE!
SUSANNE STAEUDEL has always loved traveling the world, ever since she was a child. She has lived in many places like Australia, New Zealand, The Netherlands, Germany, Austria…. So she’s got that international mindset, enabling a wide vision on the world.
She has just moved to Vienna where her heart is, after working in Germany and spending all her free time in Vienna for the past 1.5 years.
She runs the design-inspired lifestyle travel blog SuessiLoves dedicated to Europe and the World, with a special love for Vienna.
Thanks to her background in design and fine arts, she’s got that special eye to inspire design-oriented people to travel, live and pursue a life in bliss and happiness. She loves to reveal places of interest like cafes, restaurants, hotels, museums, sights that you won’t find in your regular guide book but based on her own guts. Besides this, she‘s got a passion for coffee and delicious home made vegetarian food.
Her aim is to live a life full of pleasure and indulgence in a healthy, mindful way – abroad or at home. Because happiness is contagious…